Tiny Size Me


As the final days of my current career arrive at an undefined pregnant pause, moving with my husband and 2 dogs into a Lance 825 camper feels like a weight is being lifted off my over-achieving shoulders. That’s right, we are packing up our house and moving from 1300 sqft into 120 sqft. Where will I put all my shoes? Seriously, with less than 10% of our current living space we have no choice but to downsize. Many of our possessions are going into storage because we do plan to live in a house again someday, but so many things now seem frivolous. Stuff that I dragged across the country when I moved to Oregon has lost its purpose in my world. This year's motto: "if it's not heck YES! it's heck NO!"  

Why does purging feel so freeing?  In yoga we call it aparigraha, often translated to non-attachment or non-possessiveness. It's the last of the 5 yamas, the ethical guidelines of our practice. According to the article 7 Ways to Practice Aparigraha from Yoga International,

"by releasing what is no longer useful, we open ourselves to fresh ideas, new relationships, and more harmonious ways of living and being."

Even though it feels so good, it still feels hard to let go. Fortunately, there is a tiny living movement happening with great resources and solutions for small spaces. In future posts I'll be reviewing some of my favorite products and providing tips for staying healthy, but for now here is something I found inspiring about minimalism

"Focusing your time and energy on creating quality work, nurturing quality friendships, and preparing high quality, healthful foods are all an important part of the minimalist lifestyle."

How do you tiny size? If you have suggestions for small-space living, let me know!

Comments

  1. I can totally relate - we had to downsize when we moved into the apartments! Not quite as much as you, we're still at 400sqft. It felt amazing to purge stuff that I no longer had a connection to. If I didn't absolutely love it then away it went. I'm so excited for you guys! What a fun adventure! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this big move and embarking into the unknown! I wish I could say I have tips for downsizing, but alas, I could definitely use a lot of help in that area so I will be keeping watch on your blog for inspiration. I love your motto for the year. That is a mantra I go back to when I need help making decisions after reading Mark Manson's fabulous article about that same, "if it's not heck YES! it's heck NO!."If you haven't read it, look it up! Congrats on the new adventure and the new blog! xx, Marissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment